Were you injured in a hit and run accident on Highway 138 in Walton County, Georgia?
If so, you may be wondering what your options are. If you do not have uninsured motorist coverage, the only way you can recover for your injuries is if you can track down the driver who hit you and fled the scene. The chances of this are low, unfortunately.
However, if you have uninsured motorist coverage, you can recover from your uninsured motorist insurance policy if you can prove what is required under Georgia law.
WHAT MUST BE PROVEN IN A GEORGIA HIT AND RUN CASE FOR UNINSURED MOTORIST COVERAGE TO APPLY?
If you find yourself in a hit and run accident and have uninsured motorist coverage, you must prove the following:
- Actual physical contact occurred between your car and the unknown car that hit you and fled the scene; OR
- If physical contact cannot be proved, eyewitness testimony of the accident by someone other than yourself.
Please also keep in mind you are required to report the accident to the police if you want to recover under Georgia law.
TIPS FOR DOCUMENTING A HIT AND RUN ACCIDENT
- Call 911 and report the accident. Make sure you obtain a police report for the accident.
- Take pictures of any physical damage to your car so you can show physical contact occurred.
- If any eyewitnesses were present, make sure to get their contact information.
- Notify your uninsured motorist insurance carrier of the accident as soon as possible. Many uninsured motorist insurance policies require timely notice of the accident for the insurance coverage to apply.
AMOUNT OF UNINSURED MOTORIST COVERAGE
If you are able to prove actual physical contact occurred or can produce eyewitness testimony regarding the accident, then you can recover under your uninsured motorist coverage. Please keep in mind that you can only recover up to the amount in which you have coverage. For example, if you have $25,000 in add on uninsured motorist coverage, then you can only recover up to $25,000 for your injuries.
CONTACT BARTLETT BENTON
If you or a loved one have been injured in a hit and run accident on Highway 138 in Walton County, Georgia, please call Bartlett at 770-365-6414 for a free case evaluation.
Benton & Benton
Latest posts by Benton & Benton (see all)
- Finding Your Path Forward: Selecting the Right Attorney After an Accident - February 7, 2024
- Understanding Wrongful Death Claims in Georgia - January 2, 2024
- News Section Coming Soon… - December 15, 2023